Moderate Resorts in Walt Disney World have the perfect balance of value and features. They offer more amenities like larger rooms, better curb appeal landscaping than value resorts and coffee pots in the rooms (which is an extremely important feature for many parents, myself included). Like all Disney Resorts, these guest rooms offer free high speed Wifi.
Moderate rooms also offer Queen size beds compared to the Value Resorts that only offer double beds. The only exceptions to this are the family of 5 and 6 moderate rooms - to maximize more guests, these specific rooms only offer double beds where indicated.
Room prices for Disney Moderate rooms start around $170 per night for just your hotel room. Fort Wilderness cabins are considered moderate rooms and start at $294 per night. The cabins will sleep up to six and do come with extra space and features. Park admission and dining plans are additional. Moderate room prices can more than double during high demand times like the December holidays and spring break. Each Moderate resort offers different pricing along with upgraded room locations and views. Some offer special themed rooms and all of these features come with upgraded costs.
Guests staying at a Disney World Deluxe resort enjoy the convenience of Magic Bands. Magic bands work as your room key, Park admission, hotel dining reservations, fast passes, charging privledges and more.
"Technically", all of these resort offer good quick service dining options along with a table service restaurant. Port Orleans French Quarter is adjacent to Port Orleans Riverside and many Disneyphiles count it as one huge property. Because each has their own separate check in area, I have to classify them as two distinct resorts. For that reason I would have to say French Quarter is the only moderate resort without it's own sit down restaurant.
As with all Resorts located within Walt Disney World, each of their moderate resorts offer uniquely themed environments to help immerse guests in Disney Magic. Resort themes carry over into incredibly fun pools complete with slides great for kids of all ages.
Here is a quick over-view to help your family find their perfect moderate resort -
Carribean Beach Resort
- Theme: Fun and Flair of being in the Caribbean Islands
- Located in Epcot Resort Area (also near Hollywood Studios and Downtown)
- Over 2,100 rooms in 33 two story buildings - NO elevators
- 6 island village areas surrounding a 45 acre lake
- Pirate ship slide, heated pools, marina, bike rentals and nature trail
- Pirate themed rooms that kids will love
Coronado Springs Resort
- Theme: Treasures of the Old Southwest
- Located in Animal Kingdom Area
- 1,917 guest rooms surrounding the 15 acre Lake Dorado
- HUGE convention/ballroom area- geared for business meetings and events
- Biking, boating and state of the art health club
- Pool themed on 5 story Mayan Temple with sandbox fossil digs
Port Orleans French Quarter
- Theme: Charm of New Orleans and Mardi Gras
- Located near Downtown Disney adjacent to Port Orleans Riverside
- Just under 1000 guest rooms
- Kayaks, canoes and motorboat rentals to explore the Sassagoula Rive
- Boat transportation to Downtown Disney
- Lagoon Mardi Gras pool with sea serpant water slide
Port Orleans Riverside
- Theme: Southern Bayou Fun with lots of Southern Hospitaltiy
- Located near Downtown Disney adjacent to French Quarter
- Grand gardens along Mississippi Style waterway
- Six heated pools along with Old man Island
- Family of 5 friendly Alligator Bayou rooms (2 double beds & trundle)
- Magnolia bend "Royal Guest rooms" for little princesses
Fort Wilderness Cabins
- Theme: Enjoying the Great Outdoors
- 700 acres with 799 campsites and 409 rental cabins
- Technically not a "resort" but price like a moderate resort room
- family of six friendly AND pet friendly
- Enjoy deer, rabbits, owls, armadillos and lots of woodland creatures
- Deck, grill, one full bath and full kitchen - 1 bedroom with double bed and bunk beds, living room with Murphy bed