For so many families, spring break means dusting off the suitcases and heading out the door for fun and adventure. A majority of schools will take their Spring break sometime between March 22 and April 12 for 2015. Others take a break in February between Valentines day and Feb 21st to celebrate the Presidents. It's the time of year when our staff gets tons of questions like - What are the best spring break spots for Families? Where should we take the kids in February, March, April etc?
We've chatted amongst our team and came up with a few of our favorite family spring break destinations. As always, our choices are a balance of fun, adventure and value.
1. Europe - This is an excellent option for families with kids ages 10 thru teens. Low season rates make spring the best time to live the dream of a vacation in Europe. Flight prices to European cities are the lowest from Januaray until the end of March. Compared to summer flights, it can mean a savings of a few hundred dollars per person. For families, this means a significant savings. In addition, you'll normally enjoy mild weather and fewer tourist crowds, not to mention savings on hotel stays too.
If you have 7 days for school break, this generally translates into a 6 night hotel stay. Many European flights from the U.S. fly overnight, so the first night your family will sleep on the plane. Your first day should have a very light schedule because jet lag will most likely be an issue. Focus on quality and not quantity. This means plan to visit one city or area and avoid spreading yourself too thin. If you do want to visit several countries in the shorest amount of time, opt for a cruise. Mediterranean cruises sail to different countries or ports while you're asleep making them the most efficient way to cover lots of territory. Rates also include all your meals, evening entertainment and child care.
2. Cruises - Speaking of cruises, they are a particularly great value for Spring 2015. Most families in the U.S. live within a one day's drive of a port city. With lower gas prices this spring, travel to port is extremely economical. Cruise prices start at $75 per person per day. This is often cheaper than many hotel rooms. In addition, family cruises include all of your meals, many shipboard activities, evening entertainment and kids clubs offering child care from toddlers to teens. Cruises are a fun and economical way to visit some of the most idyllic beaches in the Caribbean.
3. Beach Vacations - Everyone loves the beach. Whether you are thinking of heading to Florida, the Bahamas, Mexico or even some of the Caribbean islands, depending on geography, some beach destinations may be a bit chilly. Temperatures can vary throughout February and early March. You may find yourself wearing a sweatshirt instead of a swim suit. For the most sun and fun in early spring, select very southern destinations like Costa Rica, Aruba or St. Lucia. If you're traveling late March and beyond you'll definiately need the sun block.
4. City Breaks - If you're looking for a short, fun getaway this spring consider visiting and sightseeing in the City. A Broadway show, shopping and museum visit in NYC, A trip to the Grand Old Opery in Nashville, learn about history in Williamsburg, VA...create a fun itinerary built around the specific interests that members of your family enjoy. Washington DC is especially educational and fun for kids. The Smithsonian Museums offer free admission and that's always fun for parents.
5. Sports Breaks - Fun itineraries can be built around your family's favorite sports. This can meam a ski week in the Rockies or New England, A visit to a Baseball spring training camp or even horseback riding on a ranch. Zip lines, circus camp, fishing, bike tours, hiking - the possibilities are only limited by your imagination. Depending upon everyone's activity level this could mean a week on the move or a couple of important day trips built into a more relaxing itinerary.
Often busy parents do not have the time to spend hours researching, planning and comparison shopping the millions of vacation options available. It can be confusing and exhausting trying to sort thru all of the possibilities. Having the help of a professional travel agent will help you to save time, money, sanity and most importantly...they can help you get the most out of your valuable vacation time with your kids.
Vacationkids travel agents are experts at family vacation...it's what we do. Let our Team Help book your family the vacation of a lifetime. Tell us your ideas, needs and vacation wish list and let us go to work for you. Our services are free. We earn commissions from our sales that support our website as well as our own families. Our goal is to make you one of our many fans so that you'll give us the honor of helping your family create a world of memories year after year. Remember parents, we generally only get about 15 chances to create a lifetime of vacation memories for our kids. Make every vacation count!